Thank you for your interest in applying for a nomination to a United States Service Academy. Nominating qualified Marylanders to the Uniformed Service Academies is one of the greatest honors and responsibilities I have as a United States Senator.
Applications are now being accepted for Uniformed Service Academy nominations for the class of 2025. The online application can be found HERE.
A complete application consists of the online questionnaire and all ancillary documents (see list below). It is the responsibility of the applicant to be sure any items that are being provided separately (SAT/ACT test scores, letters of recommendation, transcripts) are received by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 30, 2020. If any items are missing from the application after the deadline, the applicant will not be considered for a nomination.
- Applicant Basic Information, Questionnaire, and Essay (through online application link).
- Official SAT and/or ACT scores (sent directly from College Board and/or ACT). Reporting test codes are: SAT #5985, ACT #7139.
- The SAT will be administered on March 14, May 2, and June 6, 2020. The College Board has yet to confirm its anticipated test date of August 29, 2020. Though the College Board advises that most SAT scores are released about two weeks after test day, summer test scores take longer, up to six weeks. Please plan accordingly to ensure that your official test score is received by the application deadline.
- You should request that your SAT electronic score report be sent directly to Senator Van Hollen’s office. Unofficial score reports and screen shots will not be accepted.
- *We understand that as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, various SAT and ACT test dates have been cancelled. Applicants who have never taken the SAT or ACT must take the earliest-offered test. Our office will accept that score if it comes after the deadline.
- Official Transcript(s): High School (required), and College or Prep School if applicable. Transcript(s) must be submitted electronically by your high school using the links in the online application. High school transcripts must include your unweighted GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- Three Letters of Recommendation, including one from a science or math teacher. Other letters of recommendation may come from teachers, guidance counselors, coaches, and/or employers. Letters from family members will not be accepted. No more than three letters will be accepted. Letters of Recommendation must be submitted electronically using the links in the online application, be on school or personal letterhead, dated, and signed.
Transcripts and letters of recommendation must be in English.
The U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), U.S. Military Academy (USMA), U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) require a nomination from an authorized source before consideration for appointment. Authorized sources include your U.S. Senators, U.S. Representative, and the Vice President of the United States. Active military members, children of deceased or disabled veterans and children of career military may qualify for additional sources of nomination and should contact the service academies directly. Each applicant may seek a nomination to only one Service Academy through my office.
Please note that the deadline for receipt of completed applications online, including all required documents, by my Rockville Office is Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. (received, not postmarked or ordered). Applicants who are selected to meet with the Service Academy Advisory Board will be notified in early November. The Advisory Board will meet with selected applicants in-person on Saturday, November 21, 2020.
Please contact my office by email at email@example.com or by phone at (301) 545-1500 with any questions.